Onion Shrimp and Yam
This is a fabulous combination! Use any white yam variety like St. Vincent or Sweet. Yam provides complex carbohydrates that breaks down slowly and so is healthier than processed carbs.
- 1 lb /450 g Shrimp (headless)
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 stalks Scallion (sliced including green tops)
- 1/3 cup / 80 ml Coconut Oil
- 1 ½ lbs / 1kg White Yam
- In saucepan, bring about 2 quarts/ 2 liters salted water to boil.
- Peel yam and cut into neat pieces. Drop into boiling water. Cook until yam is fork-tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While yam is cooking, shell and devein shrimp.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Add the pepper, onion , garlic and scallion.
- In large skillet, heat oil until a few ripples form. Add the seasoned shrimp all at once. Keep shrimp in motion until shrimp is pink and opaque and the vegetables are soft and slightly browned. Remove from heat.